Sunday, April 28, 2013

Jewelery Organizer

If you recall from the last post, my jewelery was a disaster. I am proud to say it is fixed!!!! Well mostly =)
The painted board with knobs won out so this is the break down of my little project!

1. Dig through Dad's scrap wood pile with your sister & come up with this little guy, full of character


2. Paint. I found this paint at Lowe's on their clearance rack for $2.50. It's called mint green.


3. Attach knobs. Alex pointed out that the board did not have holes in it so how was I going to drill holes without a drill? So I was going to wait until later in the week to visit my parents & borrow Dad's drill. But Alex said that I could use a pointy screw ( I'm sure there's a legit name for it but I sure don't know what it is) & screw it in & then out to make the hole. It took a little muscle but I did it! Then I screwed in the knobs, $.97/each at Lowe's.


4. Then came the hardest part, distressing. I had bought one of those foam sanding blocks to try & give it a rustic look. No go. So I got some sandpaper. Let me tell ya, this is some tough paint. It did not want to let go of the board. Alex even got tired of watching me huff & puff over the silly thing that he tried using a large piece of bark & a rock. Yes, folks, you read that right, bark & a rock. They just made it look dirty. But finally, after much elbow grease, I was able to get a slightly distressed look.



5. Hang on wall!! I had forgotten to buy those picture frame hangers for the back so Mom suggested using pop tabs. I used a staple gun to put those bad boys in place & nailed this baby to the wall =) I even used a level!


6. Add necklaces & feel proud of your first real sign of craftiness =)



Now our bathroom is green & yellow but the green of the board is a bit different than the green of the towel so it clashes a bit but I can live with that for now. Who knows, I may want to do something different in a couple years. Alex wasn't so sure about it at first either, but he just looked at it and said it is better than he expected =) Now to do something with my conglomeration of rings........

Project #1--Success!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is indeed awesome! This jewelry organizer is perfect DIY idea. Such idea is indeed brilliant. Thanks for sharing the steps in doing this thing. I would really love to make one for myself. Thanks for sharing!

    -RCSPlastics.com

    ReplyDelete